Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Education for a better future

As I said before, trying to achieve veterinary status is a difficult goal unless striving hard to do so. I have read many blogs where they mentioned how staying up long hours of the night in the library was not an unusual occurrence. One blog I read was about a man who had to about 3 hours of sleep a night due to classes in the morning and homework from late night classes. I believe I am smarter to recognize to change my classes to one specific time frame of the day! I am prepared for the challenge of the average college student and to achieve a better life style.
Currently I am taking normal sophomore classes. These include: English 10, European History, Chemistry, Spanish II, and some elective classes. Reading online I realized that to become a veterinarian you must take many science and mathematics classes, such as biology, chemistry, animal science, and physics. Luckily I have these classes offered in my school and am prepared to take them next year as well as senior year. This may seem like hard work, but it will only prepare me for what is to come.

Preparation is key. I do not want to get to college and have no idea what is coming for me! To get a head start, I am doing a volunteer course for 7 weeks at my local hospital. This program lets you do odd jobs around the hospital that can help with volunteer hours as well as experience. Things like physical therapy to patients are offered for volunteers to participate in. My friend Asia is also doing the program with me, so it will be fun to do hard work instead of not knowing anyone! 

One big advantage to this is program is the scholarship. If you are a Junior Volunteer, you have the opportunity to get a scholarship to North Carolina State University! Coincidentally, this is the college I am striving to go to. If you do 250 hours of community service there, you will get $1000 to NC State. On top of that, for every 125 hours, you also get an extra $125 for your scholarship. The hospital can hold the scholarship for up to 2 years in case you do not want to go to college directly after high school. This is a great advantage to this program, and I would like to get as many hours as possible.

Getting the right education is half the battle because colleges want to see what you do outside of school. With the sports I do, the education I am getting, and the volunteer program I am doing, I think I have a god change of pursuing my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment