Thursday, May 3, 2012

Experience with goats

I read another blog once about the difference between veterinarian experience and animal experience. The blogger kept noting that animal experience, such as dog walking or pet grooming, was not the same as veterinarian experience. Vet experience is when a veterinarian helps and guides you with things like injections and taking care of a sick or hurt animal.

Currently, I am part of the animal-only side. Hopefully this will change within the next year or so. I am so fascinated by the ability to save another’s life or just help something that is in need. As I mentioned, I have 40 goats. My dad, my brother, and I usually worm the goats and give them their injections needed us periodically in order to save money at the vet's office. I help lock them into this device that will not let them moved their head. That way, when we orally worm them, there is not a problem. This device is a huge help when we are trying to hold down a 300 pound goat with 15 inch horns! Once the goat is tied down my dad usually injects and worms them. My brother marks them so we know that it has already been wormed. I mainly trim their nails. After a while their nails may get a little out of whack and if not treated, they can turn into ingrown nails. Lucky we do this process once every 4 months!

This experience hopefully will aid me as I enter the world of veterinary medicine. I look forward to putting this on my application and boost my chances of becoming a veterinary volunteer as well as a veterinary doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment